- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3 hatch chiles, diced (when not in season, any other green pepper is a good substitute)
- 2 Fresno peppers, seeded and diced
- ½ white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 lb yellow American cheese, shredded
- 1 lb Colby Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups (one 16-oz jar) Royito’s Hot Sauce
In a large pot, melt butter and sauté onion, hatch chiles and Fresno peppers until they are softened, about seven minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
Sprinkle in flour and stir for about a minute to cook out the raw flour taste, then pour in half & half and bring everything to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and slowly sprinkle in the cheese and stir until it is all incorporated and melted into the dip. Let simmer for about five minutes until it has thickened up nicely.
Once thickened, pour in Royito’s and stir. Serve with Royito’s and guacamole for a perfect dipping trio!